Follow These Helpful Steps for Simulation Course Sign Up
By Diana Sarmiento
SimLEARN Lead Education Technician
ORLANDO - The Simulation Learning, Education and Research Network’s (SimLEARN) vision is to improve Veteran health care outcomes by establishing VHA as a global leader in health care simulation-based training and research. To accomplish this, SimLEARN offers a variety of courses to health care professionals at the VHA SimLEARN National Simulation Center (NSC) that offer opportunities for VA staff to improve their skills and, more importantly, improve the care provided to our Veterans.
Though important, finding a beneficial course to take is only the first step in furthering your education through simulation at the NSC. What follows are some important things to know when planning your training:
I’m a VA employee, and I’m interested in attending a class I’ve located on the SimLEARN course catalog. What are the steps I should take to register and enroll?
1. Click on the course title, then click on the date on the right to Register. If the course is full, you will be waitlisted in number order. If the course is NOT full, you will be able to register and receive a congratulatory email from the VA Talent Management System (TMS).
At what point should I arrange travel and a hotel to attend the course?
2. You will receive a “welcome” email six weeks before the course start date from the education technician at SimLEARN with all course and travel instructions included.
What role does my local VA medical center education office have in setting up these courses?
3. New VA staff tend to believe that their medical center education departments register them for the courses they need. This is not the case in most facilities. Each VA Staff member needs to register in TMS to receive confirmation to attend a course at SimLEARN.
Are there any other details I should know about?
4. Adding a course from TMS on to your learning tab or sending it to your fiscal department does not mean that you have confirmation.
You are required to confirm your attendance or cancellation of the course after receiving an email from SimLEARN as many others are waitlisted to attend the same course.
5. If you have registered and been waitlisted multiple times for the same course, and then receive confirmation from TMS that you have been selected to attend that course, SimLEARN will remove all your other waitlisted registrations for that same course to give others the opportunity to attend.
If you have any questions or concerns about course sign up and attendance, please send an email to EES SimLEARN NSC Support. For more information about SimLEARN, please visit the SimLEARN external website, or the SimLEARN myEES website.