VHA's SimLEARN program is in the process of developing a strategic plan to address VHA's system-wide plan to deploy simulation training, education and research. Preliminary actions to support the development of this plan have been completed and include the establishment of a baseline on VHA's current simulation activities.
Concurrently, SimLEARN is assessing Best Practices through a review of the literature and site visits to existing VA and non-VA programs. This information will be used to formulate an ideal state description for VHA's simulation training, education, and research program. The SimLEARN strategic plan will specify the goals, objectives and initiatives expected to accomplish that ideal vision.
SimLEARN's original concept paper anticipated some of the likely goals of the program. These include:
- Establish a national simulation center focused on the use of technology that will enhance workforce training and outcomes of care.
- Develop a VHA strategic plan for simulation process modeling, training, education and research by:
- Focusing and prioritizing forward-looking and outcomes-driven national initiatives for simulation-based activities to meet the health care needs of Veterans.
- Developing standardized education curriculum for use with simulation-based technologies.
- Develop a VHA strategic plan for simulation process modeling, training, education and research by (cont.):
- Enhancing and expanding the focus of research on simulation-based education and outcomes.
- Continually assessing the current state of VHA simulation process modeling, training, education and research to identify gaps; Proposing operational and budget strategies and plans to address those gaps.
- Identifying and developing curricula and plans to address needs that are unique to the Veteran population.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of simulation process modeling, training and education activities and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Provide operational policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines on best practices for simulation activities in areas including, but not limited to:
- Creating recommendations for standards/protocols/processes for VHA simulation activities.
- Developing recommendations for space allocation, minimum clinical and administrative structure, technology within VHA simulation centers.
- Improving simulation activity cost-effectiveness by developing national requirements for commonly use high cost equipment and resources; identifying funding to support those requirements.
- Developing continuing education processes for ensuring credit towards licensure/certification/credentialing requirements.
- Meeting accreditation standards, where applicable.
- Collaborate with DoD, academic affiliates and other non-VHA entities to advance mutual interests in simulation.
- Collaborate with OI&T to define the business requirements to establish the IT infrastructure to support and ensure the business needs of the simulation program.
- Assist in determining specifications, best value choice for simulation equipment and processes by:
- Assessing suitability and deployment of externally-developed standards/protocols/processes for VHA use.
- Identifying need and strategy for national contracts in collaboration with business owners.